11.09.2010

Waiting for Superman





A must see! This film is shocking, amazing, emotional, powerful and horribly true. 
Does anyone have a soapbox for me? :) Right now I'd like to use it, because 
I recently saw a movie that uncovered an old passion of mine...Education. 
 Those of us who live in America, need to take a stand and realize that our education system is connected to the success of our future as a nation. If we fail our children, we are failing the future of America. This is such a serious problem, and I am so grateful that some of the people involved in this film have the courage to speak out against the "untouchable" unions and politics of the education system.  Yes, I was a teacher, but No, I was never a member of the teachers union. I am a firm believer that the unions have their place to protect teachers from unfair and unjust situations.  However, I DO NOT feel that the unions have the right to protect ineffective teachers who are doing more damage than good to our children.

**There was a stat used in the movie that said basically:
1 in 57 Doctors will loose their medical license. 1 in 95 attorneys will loose his/her law license... 
but only 1 in 2,500 has even lost their teacher credentials.
REALLY!?
The teachers union is has the strongest protection of any group of workers, meanwhile our schools are failing. It seems we are more concerned about protecting the adults here and not the children.
I was able to see this film a few days ago and I'm so glad that I did. I have too much to say on the topic of the education system here in America. I have taught both high school and junior high, and although it has been seven years since I last taught, I still have a strong opinion on what is happening in America.
Now, I'm experiencing public school on the other end, with two children attending our local public school. Luckily, we are blessed to have a good school, and so far, excellent teachers. However, once upon a time, I did teach in an inner city high school in Washington DC and experienced first hand the corruption and hardships that these large cities are facing. When I was there, the Washington DC District received the highest amount of money per student and yet they had the worst school system and schools in America.  Huh!?
How does that happen?  The DC District has been through several superintendents recently, one of which, is an amazing woman who took DC by storm. If you watch the movie, then you'll see what I mean. She was hired to revamp the DC District, and revamp is what she did!

ok, ok... I'll wrap this up. I could go on and on about my experiences.
But the bottom line is that something needs to be done...
for our kids, our future, and our nation.

GO WATCH THIS MOVIE!
PLEDGE!
BE INVOLVED WITH YOUR CHILDREN AND 
YOUR LOCAL SCHOOL!
WRITE CONGRESS AND LET THEM KNOW WE CARE AND UNIONS SHOULD NOT HAVE POWER TO PROTECT INEFFECTIVE TEACHERS! 
WE NEED BETTER EDUCATION NOW.


"When you see a great teacher, you are seeing a work of art!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails